In the world of desserts, Queen of Puddings holds a special place with its creamy custard, sweet raspberry jam, and a golden breadcrumb topping. While it may sound like a decadent treat that could break the bank, you’ll be delighted to know that you can enjoy this delectable dessert without spending a fortune. In this article, we will guide you through a budget-friendly recipe for making Queen of Puddings, all for under £50 in 2023.
To create your budget-friendly Queen of Puddings, you will need the following ingredients:
500ml whole milk (£1.20)
50g granulated sugar (£0.10)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (£0.25)
2 large eggs (£0.30)
75g fresh breadcrumbs (£0.20)
2 tablespoons raspberry jam (£0.50)
Fresh raspberries for garnish (£1.50)
Powdered sugar for dusting (£0.30)
Total estimated cost: £4.05
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a baking dish.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs until well combined.
- Gradually pour the warm milk into the egg mixture while continuously whisking.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl, and slowly pour the custard mixture over them, stirring gently to combine.
- Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes, giving the breadcrumbs time to soak up the custard.
- Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Pour the custard mixture over the raspberry jam, spreading it out evenly.
- Place the baking dish in a larger roasting pan and carefully pour hot water into the roasting pan to create a water bath. The water should come about halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Carefully transfer the roasting pan to the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until the custard is set and the top is golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the Queen of Puddings from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish the top with fresh raspberries and lightly dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve the Queen of Puddings warm or chilled, and enjoy the delightful combination of creamy custard and fruity raspberry flavor.
Making a delicious Queen of Puddings doesn’t have to break the bank. By following this budget-friendly recipe, you can savor the creamy, fruity goodness of this classic dessert while keeping your costs under £50 in 2023. Whether it’s for a special occasion or a delightful treat, this recipe allows you to indulge without stretching your budget. So why wait? Gather your ingredients, follow the instructions, and enjoy the homemade goodness of a Queen of Puddings that is both scrumptious and affordable.
Creating a scrumptious Queen of Puddings doesn’t have to put a strain on your budget. By following this budget-friendly recipe, you can enjoy the rich flavors of this traditional dessert for under £50 in 2023. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, you can create a Queen of Puddings that is both delicious and affordable. So go ahead, gather your ingredients, and treat yourself to a delightful dessert that won’t break the bank.
The most difficult part is making sure your yolks don’t curdle when you’re making the custard base. Queen of Puddings You could of course go the extra mile of making your own jam (or grabbing a jar you made earlier in the year out of the cupboard) but a good quality store-bought variety can make an appearance in this dish with no detrimental impact to your final product.